Millions of customer personal data exposed online due to a Misconfiguration with MongoDB that belongs to Ai.Type, the company that well know for developing the personalized virtual keyboard app for Android and iOS.
Security researchers from Kromtech Security Center identified that the company exposed their entire 577GB Mongo-hosted in public, anyone with internet connection can access the database.
Ai keyboards downloaded by more than 40 million users around the world and the researchers claim that they can access the data and details of 31,293,959 users.
They tested the app and identified it asking full permission which includes all keyboard data. Based on the leaked databases it seems they are collecting all the data starting from contacts to keystrokes.
From Android 6.0 + version users are forced to manually allow the permission for the access contact or other data, but users continue to provide data in exchange for free and cheap products.
What does the Leaked Database Consist of
It consists of Personal details of 31,293,959 users who installed ai.type virtual keyboard.It consists of following Sensitive information.
- Phone number, the full name of the owner, device name, and model.
- Mobile network name, SMS number, screen resolution, user languages enabled.
- Android version, IMSI number (international mobile subscriber identity used for interconnection).
- IMEI number (a unique number given to every single mobile phone), emails associated with the phone, country of residence, links.
- Information associated with the social media profiles (birthdate, title, emails, etc.) and photo (links to Google+, Facebook, etc.), IP (if available), location details (long/lat).
Theoretically, it is logical that anyone who has downloaded and installed the Ai.Type virtual keyboard on their phone has had all of their phone data exposed publicly online. Says Bob Diachenko.
Is it a virtual keyboard app or a spyware? always the first layer of defense is the awareness. Stay vigil while allowing permissions for the app.
Some of Very Recent Data Leaked Online
- Famous Cosmetic Company “Tarte” leaked 2 Million Customers Personal Data Online
- Fashion Retailer FOREVER 21 Admits Payment Card Security Breach
- Accenture Data Leak Exposed 137 Gigabytes of Highly Sensitive Data Online
- Deloitte Hacked by Cyber Criminals and Revealed Client & Employee’s Secret Emails
- Leading research and advisory firms Forrester was hacked
- Disqus confirms it’s been hacked and more than 17.5 Million Users Details Exposed
- Gaming Service R6DB Database deleted By Hackers and held for Ransom
- Biggest Hack Ever – Each and Every Single Yahoo Account Was Hacked in 2013
- Pizza Hut Hacked – Users Reporting Fraudulent Transactions on their Cards
- Hyatt Hotels Data Breach Exposed 41 Hotel Customers Payment Card Information
- Verizon Wireless Confidential DataLeaked Accidentally by Its Employee
- ABC Company Massive Data Leaked online from Amazon S3 Bucket
- Pentagon Data Leak Exposed 1.8 Billion of Social Media Surveillance Data
- Uber Data Breach Exposed Personal Information of 57 Million Uber Users
- HP Exposed more than 400,000 Customers Sensitive Information Online
- Imgur Data Breach Exposed 1.7 Million Users Emails and Passwords by Hackers
Source : GBHackers