Features of Repository
- Hands-on Digital Forensics Labs: designed for Students and Faculty
- Linux-based lab: All labs are purely based on Kali Linux
- Lab screenshots: Each lab has PPTs with instruction screenshots
- Comprehensive: Cover many topics in digital forensics
- Free: All tools are open source
- Updated: The project is funded by DOJ and will keep updating
- Two formalized forensic intelligence in JSON files based-on case studies
Table of Contents (updating)
- Basic Computer Skills for Digital Forensics
- Computer and Digital Forensics (updated on Oct. 2021)
- Computer Forensics Case Study
- Mobile Forensics Case Study
- Forensic Intelligence Repository
- Tool Installation
# The following commands will install all tools needed for Data Leakage Case. We will upgrade the script to add more tools for other labs soon.
chmod +x tool-install-zsh.sh
Investigating P2P Data Leakage
The P2P data leakage case study is to help students to apply various forensic techniques to investigate intellectual property theft involving P2P. The study include
- A large and complex case involving a uTorrent client. The case is similar to NIST data leakage lab. However, it provides a clearer and more detailed timeline.
- Solid evidence with explanations. Each evidence that is associated with each activity is explained along with the timeline. We suggest using this before study NIST data leakage case study.
- 10 hands-on labs/topics in digital forensics
Investigating NIST Data Leakage
The case study is to investigate an image involving intellectual property theft. The study include
- A large and complex case study created by NIST. You can access the Senario, DD/Encase images. You can also find the solutions on their website.
- 14 hands-on labs/topics in digital forensics
Investigating Illegal Possession of Images
The case study is to investigate the illegal possession of Rhino images. This image was contributed by Dr. Golden G. Richard III, and was originally used in the DFRWS 2005 RODEO CHALLENGE. NIST hosts the USB DD image. A copy of the image is also available in the repository.
Investigating Email Harassment
The case study is to investigate the harassment email sent by a student to a faculty member. The case is hosted by digitalcorpora.org. You can access the senario description and network traffic from their website. The repository only provides lab instructions.
Investigating Illegal File Transferring (Memory Forensics )
The case study is to investigate computer memory for reconstructing a timeline of illegal data transferring. The case includes a scenario of transfer sensitive files from a server to a USB.
|Labs||Topics Covered||Size of PPTs|
|Lab 0||Memory Forensics||11M|
|part 1||Understand the Suspect and Accounts|
|part 2||Understand the Suspect’s PC|
|part 3||Network Forensics|
|part 4||Investigate Command History|
|part 5||Investigate Suspect’s USB|
|part 6||Investigate Internet Explorer History|
|part 7||Investigate File Explorer History|
|part 8||Timeline Analysis|
Investigating Hacking Case
The case study, including a disk image provided by NIST is to investigate a hacker who intercepts internet traffic within range of Wireless Access Points.
Investigating Android 10
The image is created by Joshua Hickman and hosted by digitalcorpora.
- Frank Xu
- Malcolm Hayward
- Richard (Max) Wheeless
Source : KitPloit – PenTest Tools!