Imgur Data Breach exposed almost 1.7 Million Users sensitive Emails and Passwords that was occurred in 2014.
Imgur is an online image sharing community which has 150 Million total users, 6 Billion page views per month, 1.5 Million Images uploading daily by Imgur visitors.
This potential Imgur Data Breach was reported by a Web security Expert Troy hunt who is actively running Data Breach services called Have I Been Pwned.
I want to recognise @imgur‘s exemplary handling of this: that’s 25 hours and 10 mins from my initial email to a press address to them mobilising people over Thanksgiving, assessing the data, beginning password resets and making a public disclosure. Kudos! https://t.co/jV8MDscXLT
— Troy Hunt (@troyhunt) November 25, 2017
Imgur Data Breach Investigation
After his Incident Report passed to Imgur’s Chief Operating Officer via Email. Further investigation revealed, and Imgur team finally confirmed that approximately 1.7 million Imgur user accounts were compromised in 2014.
Since Imgur has never asked for real names, addresses, phone numbers, or other personally-identifying information (“PII”), so the information that was compromised did NOT include such PII.
On November 23, we were notified about a data breach on Imgur that occurred in 2014. While we are still actively investigating the intrusion, we wanted to inform you as quickly as possible as to what we know and what we are doing in response. More: https://t.co/qElAetGVIc
— Imgur (@imgur) November 25, 2017
At that time Imgur used an older hashing algorithm that leads to hackers performing Brute force attack against the Imgur Website.
Troyhunt said, “I disclosed this incident to Imgur late in the day in the midst of the US Thanksgiving holidays,” said Hunt. “That they could pick this up immediately, protect impacted accounts, notify individuals and prepare public statements in less than 24 hours is absolutely exemplary.”
Imgur Started notifying to impacted users via their registered email address, and they urged to update their passwords.
According to Imgur, we are still actively investigating the intrusion; we wanted to inform you as quickly as possible as to what we know and what we are doing in response. But Imgur said that site security had improved since the breach.
Some of Very Recent Data Leaked Online
- Famous Cosmetic Company “Tarte” leaked 2 Million Customers Personal Data Online
- Fashion Retailer FOREVER 21 Admits Payment Card Security Breach
- Accenture Data Leak Exposed 137 Gigabytes of Highly Sensitive Data Online
- Deloitte Hacked by Cyber Criminals and Revealed Client & Employee’s Secret Emails
- Leading research and advisory firms Forrester was hacked
- Disqus confirms it’s been hacked and more than 17.5 Million Users Details Exposed
- Gaming Service R6DB Database deleted By Hackers and held for Ransom
- Biggest Hack Ever – Each and Every Single Yahoo Account Was Hacked in 2013
- Pizza Hut Hacked – Users Reporting Fraudulent Transactions on their Cards
- Hyatt Hotels Data Breach Exposed 41 Hotel Customers Payment Card Information
- Verizon Wireless Confidential DataLeaked Accidentally by Its Employee
- ABC Company Massive Data Leaked online from Amazon S3 Bucket
- Pentagon Data Leak Exposed 1.8 Billion of Social Media Surveillance Data
- Uber Data Breach Exposed Personal Information of 57 Million Uber Users
- HP Exposed more than 400,000 Customers Sensitive Information Online
Source : GBHackers